“Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”― Eckhart Tolle

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Winter That Would Not Die

Isn't that pretty? See the blooming cherry on the right ... and the plum tree on the left about to break into bloom? Ah, Spring!!! Lovely. Well, guess what? That was LAST year at this same time. What is wrong with this picture? (No, No...that was metaphorical, meaning NOT the picture above...Oh well, poetic license and all that. You understand.)

No, my friends, THIS year we are having the winter that will not die. It just won't go away. We are still having temperatures in the upper 20's at night and it might make it to the upper 40's in the day...if we are lucky. So, sadly we go out during the day foraging for succulent blades of new Spring grass, and sadly we go back to the barn and settle for plain old hay. Oy. Even the ducks in the pond are having difficulty keeping their little webbed feet from freezing. This is depressing. You know, von Goethe said, "Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter. Who would think that those branches would turn green again and blossom, but we hope it, we know it." Okay, well, right now my fate doesn't seem to be resembling anything of the kind. Come to think of it, maybe von Goethe was just the Punxsutawney Phil of his time.

2 comments:

Danni said...

You've got me saying "Oy" all the time now...thanks a lot, Marigold. :-) But, oy, I can really relate to the cold weather blues....it was 29 when I got up this morning and it's 44 right now...the sun is trying to shine from behind some high clouds, which tempts me outside, but once I'm there...my toes freeze and my nose turns bright red and I turn around and run back inside. Call me a weather-weenie, but this is ridiculous!!

Kathryn and Ari said...

Hear, hear!

Marigold, I'm a little worried about your latest penchant for continental philosophers like Goethe and Nietzsche: they're not a very sunny bunch, are they? Maybe you should pick up a copy of something a little lighter: Boethius or Locke, perhaps? Something to help shake the dust off of this bleary season.